Second ethical theory: Ethical Subjectivism

Unlike emotivism, this is a cognitive theory. Ethical subjectivism is a subjective type of moral theory.

are you familiar with the statement "No matter what they tell you, you'll believe what you think its true."?

Human acts are justified on the basis of the beliefs and opinions which we hold to be true and correct. Experiences base on beliefs, opinions and knowledge.

"so long as I say what I believe is right.

"I say" is an action
"what I believe is right" is an opinion.

It is true because you believe in it. You must believe it because its true. The behavior is a product solely of one's cause.

We are also subject to our wills.

Ethical subjectivism is the affirmation of freedom.

I believe therefore I act
I experienced therefore I believe
I act therefore I am free
I am therefore I experience.


critics of Ethical Subjectivism
  1. Not all moral beliefs are correct. It has to be correct prior to your belief. It must be correct objectively and not subjectively. Evidence must be facts and not state of affairs that we believe to be true.
  2. Disastrous for the weak and defenseless.
  3. Ignores the fact that we are not products of our experience. We are not subjects of our experiences. We must go beyond this experience and examine it.
  4. In the movie "The Island" Dr. Merrick says he's doing what he thinks is right for the future. So he thinks it's good. It validates cloning.





 

spread the word

| More

0 comments: